Old Yuma, located along Main Street, was doomed from the start due to the flooding of the Colorado River that turned the back of the building into the mud from which they were made. Today, most of the main street is made up of buildings dating back to the 1920s. However, during the city’s early days in 1849, more than 60,000 people used this route to cross the Colorado River in the Rope ferry looking for gold in California. Today, visitors will find a wide variety of shops, entertainment, and restaurants along Main Street, as well as the Yuma Historic Theater built in 1911, now the centerpiece of the Yuma Art Center and the house and buildings. gardens of E. F Sanguinetti, one of Yuma’s Business Pioneers.
Yuma’s Colorado River Historic State Park maintains an important history from our early military days. Beginning in 1864, the Yuma Quartermaster Depot served as a lifeline for the military forts of the Southwest, where a six-month supply of ammunition, clothing, food, and other goods was stored. Goods came upriver from the Gulf of California in steamboats and were shipped overland in teams of mules or shipped upriver. In 1877, with the arrival of the railroad, the fate of the warehouses vanished. However, when the military closed the reservoir, engineering pioneers used the location to tame the river’s construction dams to generate power and a water supply vital to the survival of the community. Today, five of the original buildings still stand and are among the oldest and best preserved in the state of Arizona. Right next to the park is the Yuma Siphon built in 1912, a huge tunnel under the Colorado River that is used to supply irrigation water to the Yuma Valley, which is still in operation.
Forced ventilation, electricity, sanitation, including bathtubs and showers, even a library, were more conveniences than most Yuma homes had, and residents called it “The Country Club in the Colorado.” On the other hand, the unbearable heat made this place feel like hell where a cave of inhuman snakes was carved into the granite walls and the ball and chain was a routine punishment that made this place impossible to bear and Being surrounded by rivers, quicksand and desert made escape impossible. The prisoners feared and loathed this place and called it a pure “Hell Hole”. The Yuma Territorial Prison only lasted 33 years, but during this time, it built a fearsome reputation in Old West history. From 1876, when it opened until 1907, when the doors closed, the prison housed more than 3,000 inmates, where most of the cell blocks were carved out of granite by their own hands. Although no executions were carried out in the prison, 111 inmates died while serving sentences and are buried on the prison grounds.
No trip to Yuma is complete without visiting the city of Los Algodones in nearby Mexico, which is a friendly community located in Baja California on the border of Arizona and California. Recognized by the US government as a safe community for tourists, crossing the border is simple, drive or walk. Walking is by far the best option, this way you don’t have to worry about finding a place to park. Right across the border, four blocks away, are all the businesses. The community offers a great selection of dentists, pharmacies, and optical dispensaries that snowbirds and seniors take advantage of at great cost savings. In addition, the streets are lined with curio shops and outdoor cafes.
Approximately 40 miles northeast of Yuma, with the last seven miles being an unpaved road, is the Castle Domes Mine Museum, and with more than fifty buildings deteriorated by the weather it leaves one with the impression of finding a city. lost. The museum contains three different sections where most of it is where all the buildings were moved to a central location. A short walk through the desert are some buildings from the 1970s era. A half-mile walk passes mine shafts and buildings that are on their original construction site. In 1878, Castle Dome was bigger than Yuma and little has changed since the 19th century, other than that everything is still and quiet. The details in most of the buildings remain intact, allowing one to experience what the Wild West was really like in the 19th century. With the last miners leaving Castle Dome around 1979, this location was the longest operating mine in the state of Arizona.