A unique selling proposition (USP) is the characteristic that a seller offers as the reason why the seller’s product or service is different or better than the termination product or service. Your USP is the reason your customers buy from you.
I know of three stone fabricators who have worked for years on the same block in a medium-sized Wisconsin city. After years of peaceful coexistence, the market became difficult and one of the stores decided to put a sign in the window that said: “We make the best stone countertop. town. “
Not to be left out, the second store soon put up a sign in its window that read: “We make stone countertops in Wisconsin. “
Finally, the third store put a sign in its window that read: “We make the best stone countertops in the world. block. “
You need to find a unique selling proposition that gives your prospects a reason to buy from you. It’s best if your competition can’t easily or quickly double your USP.
Without a PVU, the prospect can only make their decision based on price.
To develop your USP, you need to understand what makes you different from your competition.
If you have several different types of competition, you may need to develop several different PVUs to deal with each of the different types.
· Do you have a unique way to make tops that your competition can’t duplicate? A CNC machine when no one else in your market has one can be your USP. But craftsmanship in a market where everything is done by computer can also be used as a PSU. You just have to develop the strategy.
Do you have a unique polishing process?
· Do you have the largest or only selection of slabs in your market?
It is your process of helping the consumer to design their kitchen or select their slabs such as having a designer accompany the consumer to the different or unique wholesale slab.
· Has won prizes? The rewards are great because they take some of the buying risk out of the process.
· Does your company or staff have more experience than the competition? for example: our staff has an average experience of 20 years.
Do you or your staff have a unique certification or training from the manufacturers?
Do you have a quick answer or the opposite? We take longer because we have so many satisfied customers and we take the time to get it right.
· Develop a checklist that consumers should look for from a countertop manufacturer so they can distinguish it from garage manufacturers. Even if you don’t get the job, the stingy job will be more difficult. If you don’t have one, email me and I’ll send you a copy of our blog post “How To Buy The Cheapest Granite Countertop.”
Some other PVU can be unique accessories, special accessories, special sealants
If you use any quality variation like best stone countertop in town you better be prepared to define quality and make sure you meet your own standards. Best quality is not a USP unless you can define and test it.
Avoid the price! You can’t afford to be the cheapest in town and if you advertise the price you will attract the wrong type of buyer.