10 birthday gift ideas that cost nothing
Posted On May 20, 2022
In the current economic climate, we are all looking for ways to cut expenses while trying to improve revenue. Well, since most people send 30 gifts a year, and each of those gifts costs an average of $35, that means we’re spending over $1,000 a year just in this area of our budget. Imagine the difference it would make if you could send half of those gifts for free. This would leave you with more money to spend on the other half or to save yourself a whopping $500 each year. Now that is a savings worth striving for. Below I have listed 10 birthday gift ideas that won’t cost you a hundred. (I didn’t include postage in the example above as some ‘Free Gift Ideas’ may incur postage if the recipient lives too far away to deliver personally)
1. Find a good online eCard website and send them a really nice online card. Inside enter the following message ‘For your gift this year, I have subscribed you to a Joke a Month service throughout the year. Don’t forget to check your emails on the 1st of every month!’ Set a recurring reminder on your computer to let you know that you need to email your joke. When you get the reminder, check all the emailed jokes you’ve received in the last month to find a suitable one and send it. Not only does this cost you nothing, but it also gives you the gift of laughter, which in my opinion is priceless.
2. If they live locally, why not host a birthday get-together for them and a bunch of friends at your house? You can set it up as a total surprise without them knowing and then just invite them over for the night using some excuse like ‘I really need you to help me tune my TV’ or ‘I have this weird wet stain in the bathroom I’d like your opinion on’ OK, so how are you going to do it for free? Easy, all you have to do is organize yourself from the start. First you draw a list of snacks (max 20 items), then you invite 20 friends and assign them a snack to everyone bring. Along with this, odd friends bring beer and even friends bring wine. Pick some of the extremely eager friends to show up early to help you decorate and now you’ve thrown a great birthday party that will be greatly appreciated and not not once has he had to rummage through his wallet or purse.
3. Put away all those unwanted Christmas gifts you get. Put them in a strong cardboard box and keep them in a safe place. Once Christmas is over, take them out and assign each one to your birthday list for the year. You will be surprised how many can be recycled. NOTE – Make sure you don’t end up giving someone the gift you got for Christmas!
4. When you’re out shopping and see something you want to buy but you only need one and they’re doing a 2 for the price of a sale, do a quick mental scan of your birthday list and see if anyone’s there. there that you could give the second item to. Not only do you get what you want, but a friend or family member also gets a great gift that costs you nothing.
5. If you have a friend who loves takeout, save a bunch of deals you get in the mail, clip all the deals in your local papers, print out any deals you can find on the internet, too. Make sure they don’t expire before the target birthday! Try to get around 50 to 100. Make sure you have an extra large birthday card, write your message inside, and pack with all coupons and stamp. When opened, all the coupons will spill out creating a big surprise…and I bet some of the coupons will be used.
6. Great sources of giveaways are the hundreds of thousands of online contests you can enter online. Even if you don’t like the article, I bet no one will. They are free to enter and don’t take that long and even their return on entries is 0.5%, you only need to enter a couple hundred to get a ‘Birthday Gift That Costs Nothing’
7. Register online for free samples; you will be surprised what you can achieve. You could opt for all the makeup and pampering products. Maybe get 10-15. Decorate a small cardboard box like a shoe box and put all your free samples inside. Label the box something like ‘Chloe’s Pamper Box’ and voila, you have a great ‘Birthday Gift That Costs Nothing’. It also works well with a bunch of food samples you can get from malls and online manufacturers, these make a great mini food hamper.
8. Look through your book collection for the ones you’ve read, but never seem to open. Alternatively, search your DVD collection for those that show no signs of previous viewing. They’re just cluttering up the house, they make great gifts, and again, they don’t cost you anything to pass on. It works well with CD’s to!
9. Check all of your digital photos on the computer for images that contain the birthday boy or girl. Print them and cut them into different shapes. Collect some rust-colored dry leaves from your backyard and build a collage of the framed pictures with the dry leaves. Using different colored pens, add a witty or loving caption to each of the images and you’ve got a great homemade gift (always worth extra points) that costs you nothing.
10. For loved ones, there is nothing better than a truly meaningful and heartfelt poem. It can take a bit of time to put together, and if you’re struggling to come up with ideas, you can always search the internet for some inspiration. You can put your poem directly inside her birthday card or you can try a collage like in #9, but maybe use rose petals instead of dry leaves (you’ll need to press them dry first and you’ll see they do). Go brown and gross!)
Well that’s it; Even if you don’t like any of the 10 ‘Birthday Gift Ideas That Cost You Nothing’ I’ve suggested, I hope I’ve given you some ideas of your own to help keep expenses a little down this year.